Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tofu Quiche Casserole

When I was a little kid, I loved quiche. I have fond memories of going to Mimi's Cafe with my family every Sunday and devouring it. Frozen quiche from the grocery store was my nightly dinner during the week. I was just a little obsessed.

Once I moved towards healthier eating habits, quiche became a lot less appealing.

Quiche has a good amount of protein but it's pretty high in saturated fat. Not to mention that it's full of animal products. From eggs to cream to butter- nothing about quiche is vegan.

I decided to experiment with different ingredients to create a vegan-friendly quiche, and I must say that it turned out pretty well. Even my dad (who is very skeptical when it comes to veggie food) loved it!

It is only 150 calories per serving and is a perfect heat and eat dinner.

Ingredients:
  • 1+1/3 cup bulgur wheat
  • 1/3 cup boiling water
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 package (12 oz.) lite silken tofu
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
  • Sprinkle of paprika
  • 2 compari tomatoes
  • 1 small zucchini
The bulgur should look like this once the water is added.


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350º
  • Spray round pan with non-stick cooking spray
  • Put bulgur wheat in mixing bowl and add boiling water
  • Whisk with fork until "fluffy"
  • Add olive oil and stir well
  • Press into greased pan
  • Put tofu and soy milk in food processor and blend
  • Add nutritional yeast, spices, garlic, lemon extract and pulse until smooth
  • Pour tofu mixture over bulgur crust
  • Slice tomatoes and push them into the top of the quiche
  • Blend zucchini in food processor and spread over the top
  • Bake for 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment