Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Vanilla Baked Donuts

I am constantly on the go, so I like to carry snacks with me. These little donuts are the perfect sweet treat for me to bring along, not to mention that they are sugar-free and fat-free!

The idea for donuts came to me on accident the other day when I was planning on baking cookies. Upon looking in the fridge, I realized that I was fresh out of my Bestlife buttery spread.
At first I was disappointed, but then I decided that it was the perfect opportunity for me to try out my donut recipe- free of any added butters or oils.


I don't own a donut pan, so I decided to make them in these cute, star-shaped tins.
Donuts (makes 8 servings):


  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 egg replacer {I used 1+1/2 tsp. Ener-G}
  • 1/2 tsp. stevia 
  • 1/4 cup xylitol
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup unbleached wheat flour
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350º
  • Whisk egg replacer with 2 tbs. water
  • Mix in other wet ingredients
  • Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl
  • Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until smooth
  • Spoon mixture into donut tins {I had about 2 tbs. of batter per tin}
  • Bake for about 12-15 minutes {until donuts rise and are slightly tan}
Glaze:
  • 1/4 cup erythritol 
  • 1 tbs. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Directions:
  • Mix ingredients in small bowl and microwave for 5 seconds
  • Stir and immediately spoon over donuts
I was a little bit scared to try these initially. This was my first attempt at making vegan donuts (or any donuts for that matter). They came out looking a little bit like biscuits, but their taste couldn't have been farther from it.
They had the perfect amount of moisture will still maintaining a cake-y consistency. They are more similar to a Dunkin' Donut than an airy Krispy Kreme, but I prefer that anyway..  And at 80 calories a piece, I can afford to eat two (or three or four..)



No comments:

Post a Comment