Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Day in the Life..

When I first became a vegan, I was very wary of telling people that I made the switch. I hate to admit it, but I was somewhat ashamed of the label I had branded on myself. 
A part of me was afraid that others would think I was crazy; that they would associate me with one of those vegans. You know the ones who push their views and tell you why it's wrong to wear a silk scarf or a leather belt. These are also the ones holding the "meat is murder" signs. The ones who go out to dinner with friends only to whip out a tupperware of funky-smelling vegan shit they brought with them.
(Okay, I do that last one..)

I started telling only a couple people of my decision towards the beginning. Once they warmed up to the idea, I told more and more until eventually I didn't care anymore what people thought or how they chose to associate me. Now I can speak freely about my dietary choices.

There is, however, one thing today that still makes me afraid to tell people that I'm vegan. The fear I have is being forced to answer the dreaded question: "What the hell do you eat?"

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have heard this. I wanted to clear up any misconceptions by taking you through a typical day of eating for me. No, it is not salad for every meal. I eat a variety of foods and can even still enjoy variations of most foods I ate before turning to veganism. 

For breakfast, I have the same thing. Every single day. No matter what.

An oatmeal parfait!
This is simple, quick, and super-filling. The combo of protein and fiber keeps me full for hours.
Plus, who doesn't love PB&C (peanut butter and chocolate)?

After working out, I drink a protein shake. I usually make a green shake, consisting of protein powder, assorted frozen fruit and spinach or other greens.
This one has soy protein, greens, celery, carrots, a plum, and stevia.


For lunch I usually have a combination of a grain, a vegetable, and a protein. Shown above is my baked tofu cubes with pumpkin seeds and mixed veggies.
I ate this over a bed of brown rice.

I am constantly snacking throughout the day. I usually have fruits and veggies, iced lattes with almond milk, and of course some of my baked goods!

I also make sure to have at least one "fatty" snack, such as avocado or sunflower seeds, to keep myself healthy. 
I experienced lots of negative side effects- such as dry hair/skin and hair loss- due to my past eating issues (seen in About Me) so I'm now very conscious of making good choices for my body.

Dinner is the only time that I really mix it up. Sometimes I'll have hearty meals and other times I'll eat light, depending on how I'm feeling. I'll have anything from rice and beans to roasted veggies to vegan pizza.

Last night I ate spaghetti squash tossed with broccoli and marinara. 
Variety makes my life exciting and keeps me interested.

I wouldn't want to be vegan if I had to eat the same bland foods every single day, but luckily I don't!
You don't have to eat vegan "franken-foods" either to survive without animal products.
I make a variety of whole foods-based meals that are just as nourishing (if not more) as anything made with meat.

I would say that my eating looks pretty normal after all.
Plus, I can feel good about the fact that I'm getting proper nutrition, even if bystanders don't agree.


No comments:

Post a Comment