Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Barbecue Pulled "Pork"


While wandering around my local Asian market the other day, I came across a can of jackfruit. I have heard many people rave and rant over how great jackfruit is, but I had never tried it.
Although skeptical, I decided to buy some. I heard that when cooked it resembled pulled pork, so I decided to put the statement to the test and make some for myself.

I created my own barbecue sauce and simmered the fruit until- much to my surprise- it did start to look like pork!

The results are not going to be like a traditional mock meat, but they are great nonetheless. My variation is sweet and tender, not to mention delicious.

I had no expectations going into this venture, but I have to say that jackfruit will be a staple in my pantry from now on.

Note: Nutrition facts do not include bread


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbs. brown sugar
  • Sprinkle of salt
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1 can (16-20 oz.) jackfruit



Directions:
  • Spray sauce pan with non-stick cooking spray and set to medium heat
  • Saute onions along with 1 tbs. water until slightly caramelized
  • Combine tomato paste, vinegar, remaining water, and spices
  • Mix well and add to sauce pan
  • Shred jackfruit as much as possible with a fork and then add it to the pan
  • Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes
  • Stir and continue to shred jackfruit every 15 minutes
  • Eventually the pieces will pull apart easily, leaving you with barbecue "shreds"
  • Serve as you please*


*You can enjoy this pork in a variety of ways. I ate mine as a sandwich, but don't be afraid to try something different!
Some ideas are: filling for an Asian lettuce wrap, pizza topping, meat replacement for vegan Brunswick stew...
What else can you think of?


2 comments:

  1. I've never had jackfruit before, but this post has me interested in an experimentation session. I'll have to keep my eye out for some. By the way, I love the Nutrition Facts you have after each recipe post. How do you generate these? Is it an online application of some sort?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very versatile fruit; the only place I've been able to find it is at asian grocery stores.
      Thanks, I'm glad you like it! There are a few different sites where you can make your own nutrition labels- I use one from shopncook.com

      Delete