Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

Vegan Coca Cola Cake


Today is not just any other Monday. It's a very special Monday because....
Exactly 18 years ago today- in Glendale, California- 
I was born! 

As my brother and I get older, it becomes increasingly harder to get the whole family together at once. 
My dad and brother weren't able to meet me tonight to celebrate, so we decided to celebrate last night instead. I got to open my presents (like passes for yoga class and a new mat!) 
I also enjoyed a beautiful meal that my mom cooked for the four of us.

It consisted of kale, lentils, sweet potatoes, parsnip fries, and "chicken".
Dinner was great, but guess what was even better?
If you guessed dessert then you're right.

As far as cake goes, Coca Cola cake is my all time favorite.
I created my own vegan and gluten-free version, inspired by the original recipe found here.

I was very pleased with the end result. One batch makes 16 generous servings.

Ingredients:

-Cake:
  • 1 cup soy flour
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 2+1/2 tsp. stevia extract
  • 1 cup erythritol
  • 1 can (minus 6 tbs.) Zevia cola
  • 1/2 cup Bestlife buttery spread
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 egg replacers

-Icing:
  • 1 tbs. cornstarch
  • 2 tbs. cocoa powder
  • 6 tbs. Zevia cola
  • 1 tbs. dried soy milk powder
  • 1/3 cup xylitol
  • 3/4 cup soy yogurt





Directions:

-Cake:
  • Preheat oven to 375º
  • Spray 13x9 in. pan with non-stick cooking spray
  • Combine flours, stevia, and erythritol in medium bowl
  • Combine cola, buttery spread, applesauce, and cocoa powder in separate sauce pan and bring to a boil
  • Pour over dry ingredients and stir
  • Combine baking soda, egg replacers, almond milk, and vanilla 
  • Mix all ingredients until smooth
  • Pour into cake pan
  • Bake for about 40 minutes
  • Let cool and then ice
-Icing:
  • Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth and fluffy
My birthday dinner was a success! Here's to 18 years of life and plenty more to come.


1 comment:

  1. Loving your blog, there's so many great recipes:) I've nominated you for the Liebster Award, hope you don't mind:) Check out my Liebster Post for all the details:
    http://wantedmorefriendstofeed.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-liebster-awardhow-awesome-is-that.html

    ReplyDelete