Search This Blog

Friday, October 12, 2012

Southern Style Corn Bread


I am not from the South. I lived in California until I was 11 and do not consider myself Southern whatsoever. Nothing against Southerners- it just isn't who I am. When I moved here, everything was foreign to me.

Sweet tea? Never heard of it.
I thought grits were a breakfast cereal, not a side item that came smothered in cheese.
And hushpuppies were shoes, not food.

It didn't take me long to discover all the foods that I was unaware of for my first decade of life.

Some things were instant hits (banana pudding anyone?) 
...and others not so much (what the hell are chitlins anyway)

My tastes have changed a lot over the years, but one thing I know I'll always like is cornbread. This is a classic southern favorite that anyone can enjoy.

The best part is that there's actual bits of corn in every bite! 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1+1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. erythritol
  • 1 tbs. baking powder
  • 1 can (about 15oz.) unsalted corn, drained
  • 1/4 cup Bestlife buttery spread
  • 3 cups unsweetened soy milk
  • 3 egg replacers


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400º
  • Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray
  • Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl
  • Melt butter and add corn
  • Prepare egg replacers and add 2 cups of milk
  • Stir butter/corn mixture and egg/milk mixture into dry ingredients and mix well
  • Once smooth, transfer to baking dish
  • Bake for 20 minutes
  • Remove bread from oven and pour remaining cup of soy milk over the top 
  • Bake for an additional 10 minutes

I don't plan on staying in North Carolina forever, but I have to admit that I've grown to like many aspects.
I'm obsessed with the Avett Brothers, who just so happen to be NC natives.
I'm also so grateful for the abundance of outdoor activities available to me here.
And I can assure you that veganized Southern food will forever be my (not-so) guilty pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment