Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Baked Mac & "Cheese"

Creamy, cheesy, and cheese-less.

This year was the first Thanksgiving that I've been 100% vegan. It is also one of the best Thanksgivings I've had in a while.


In past years, I absolutely dreaded this holiday.. I feared it.
The calorie-laden desserts, the giant servings, the butter and cream-filled everything.
It absolutely freaked me out.

This year, however, I was actually able to enjoy myself.



I contributed in cooking without trying to control exactly what went into each dish.
I ate a little of everything- in moderation- without fearing that it would instantly make me gain 50 pounds (or even 5).

I allowed myself to enjoy the variety of seasonal vegetables that were served, even if they were cooked in oil rather than steamed.


The veggies weren't exactly decadent, but the mac & cheese was somewhat of a treat.
I was excited to test this recipe out and see what my family thought.

And the result was (drum roll please)........ It was a success!

They couldn't even tell the pasta had no actual cheese or cream (but they wouldn't let me tell them what was in it either). They are not so open-minded to vegan food yet. They would rather enjoy the dish without knowing that it contains tofu and nutritional yeast.

I guess ignorance is bliss?

Ingredients:

  • 1 box (about 13 oz.) of whole wheat pasta
  • 3/4 cup pureed firm tofu
  • 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbs. Bestlife buttery spread
A recipe yields about 14 servings.

Directions:

  • Fill sauce pan with water
  • Bring to a boil and add pasta
  • Reduce heat and cook for about 10 mins. (or until pasta is tender)
  • Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350º
  • Combine remaining ingredients (except wheat germ)
  • Drain pasta
  • Add cheese mixture to pasta
  • Pour into oven-safe casserole dish
  • Top with wheat germ
  • Bake for about 12 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment