Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Peanut Butter Caramel Apples

Halloween is over, and I missed it!


To quote the great Sally Brown: I missed it! Halloween came and I didn't post a single recipe!
I wish I could say this was by choice...
...That I don't believe in Halloween so I purposefully decided not to post anything on that day.

But that would be a lie.
The truth is, life got in the way. I had adapt, even if that meant taking a break from blogging for a few days.
While other foodie bloggers posted recipes of homemade candies and ghoul-themed treats, I studied and wrote papers.

Ah, the life of a college student.

I attempted making some healthy almond joys, but they didn't turn out quite right. (Don't worry, I'll post a revised recipe soon!)

What I did finally get to make were some caramel apples.


Here they are, in honor of the start of a new month.
I'm aware that they're not too pretty. In fact, they're kind of downright ugly.
BUT:
They taste great! They are sugar-free yet have the perfect combination of sugary, gooey, creamy, goodness.

This recipe makes 4 servings (at about 2 tbs. each).
I spooned the mixture over apples and sprinkled it with wheat germ.
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup xylitol
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 1 tbs. peanut flour 

Directions:
  • Combine xylitol and soy milk in small saucepan
  • Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes (until xylitol is completely melted)
  • Lower heat and add peanut flour
  • Stir for about 5 more minutes
  • Transfer to heat-proof bowl and store in refrigerator until mixture thickens (I let mine sit overnight, but it shouldn't take that long)
  • Spread onto small apples 
  • Optional: add toppings such as sprinkles, chocolate chips, wheat germ, or coconut


*Nutritional info is for the caramel only. It does not include apples or toppings

No comments:

Post a Comment