For some reason, fruitcake has gotten a bad rap over the years.
I know very few people who are a fan of the treat.
It can be made in a variety of ways, but the type most commonly seen is the brick of dried fruit dyed an array of artificial colors.
Those things don't exactly look appetizing (or even edible for that matter.)
This year I wanted to make a different sort of fruitcake.
One free of artificial dies, hydrogenated fats, and simple carbs.
My fruitcake is full of healthy fats and fiber and it is naturally sweet.
Oh, and I almost forgot- it actually tastes good!
This is one fruitcake that will actually make it into your stomach, not the dumpster!
- 1 cup diced apples
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 6 oz. pureed tofu
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs. almond milk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. stevia extract
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt
- Preheat oven to 300º
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl
- Combine the remaining ingredients separately
- Once thoroughly mixed, combine all and stir until smooth
- Transfer to loaf pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Let cool and serve