Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Restaurant Review: Asheville

If you are looking for a vast array of vegan-friendly dining, Asheville NC is the place to go.
I took a trip there last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see just how many options there were.

The restaurants in Asheville are not your typical "veg-friendly" joints. Expect to find much more than Boca Burgers and soy milk for your coffee.
The food served in Asheville is "whole" and "real". This city is living proof that vegans do have options. A rebuttal to everyone who claims that all we eat is salad and bird food.

Asheville is a city based largely around art, with food being no exception.
Everything I ate was put together beautifully. 

The first night I was there, my dad and I ate at a restaurant called The Laughing Seed.


We started with the hummus of the day.


My dad ordered the tofu-filled Tico Taco.


I couldn't decide what I wanted, so I created my own Open Market Plate. It consisted of sea vegetables,  black beans, homemade purple sauerkraut, steamed vegetables, and marinated tempheh (clockwise from top).

The next day we ate at a fantastic little restaurant called Plant. The chef at Plant actually used to work at the Laughing Seed and then branched out.

I usually drink water at restaurants, but I decided to order a limeade made with lime juice, ginger, seltzer and agave.

This is something I will be making at home from now on!

Above is my dad's meal. He got seitan sausage and veggies wrapped in a chickpea crepe. It is surrounded by black lentils and topped with cashew sour cream.

Below is what I got: the raw enchilada.
It was gorgeous and delicious. The combination of enchilada sauce, "sour cream", and cocoa mole worked together perfectly.


The art of raw food intrigues me. It is amazing that cooks can create these culinary masterpieces without cooking any of it. Yet, I did not mind at all that the dish wasn't warm. In fact, I almost prefer it.

My dad did not order a dessert because he had a cinnamon roll with his meal.



However, he was happy to try my Live Key Lime Parfait.
 This dessert was so good he was even considering going vegan!

Granola, pineapple, and pomegranate were layered between creamy cashew mousse with a hint of lime.

My trip to Asheville inspired me. I have had dreams of opening a restaurant for a while now, but trying out other restaurants is always a good way to spark up some new ideas. 
My problem is that I have so many ideas that I don't even know what to do with them all. There's just so much I want to do and I can't figure out where to begin.

Oh well, I guess that this is a good thing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment