Holidays with family can be tricky. Especially when everyone is indulging in turkey and ham while you've made a decision to go meatless.
This loaf provides plant-based protein and is very easy to whip up in case of emergencies.
Don't worry if relatives sneer or gawk. Just tell them to try it and I'm sure they'll no longer knock it.
It is delicious and will save you in those times where nothing being served suits your dietary wants or needs. Who knows, maybe it will even become a holiday hit! It has just as much protein as mock-meat without the stigma.
You only need a few key ingredients to be on your way to a happy holiday for everyone.
- 1 (16 oz.) can of chickpeas
- 1 cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein)
- 1 + 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 celery stick
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1/4 tsp. mustard, garlic, chili powder, & salt (I used low-sodium)
- Glaze (optional): (1 tbs. of ketchup + 1 tbs. white vinegar) * **
|This is what the TVP should look like once water is added|
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine TVP and boiling water in mixing bowl
- Drain and rinse chickpeas
- Pulse along with celery in food processor until smooth
- Add chickpeas and remaining spices to the TVP
- Mix and transfer to loaf pan (coated in non-stick cooking spray)
- Optional: coat with glaze
- Bake for about 25 minutes
- Slice into 8 slices
|*Instead of traditional ketchup, I used banana ketchup (purchased in St. Lucia)|
|**Nutritional info does not include glaze|