Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

Creamy Slaw Salad with Sunflower Crumbles


It is sometimes a struggle for me to eat "normally". Years of disordered eating have caused me to over-think everything I put into my mouth. 

I am very conscious of how much food I consume because it's important to me to maintain a certain amount of calories- especially with all the activity I get.

Some days I feel famished, as if I could eat everything in sight and never get full.
Other days the thought of eating is repulsive. I just don't get very hungry.

I recently started incorporating 1 or 2 days of 100% raw eating into my diet.
I do not plan on going fully raw, but I think that these days have been beneficial to me.

They seem to reset my metabolism and get my appetite to be more consistent. 
Not to mention the fact that the detoxifying qualities of raw food leave me feeling radiant and energized!


This salad has been on the raw menu for me a lot lately. 
Not so sound like an egoed-out bitch- but I think I found the perfect meal (:
...for me at least.

One serving is huge and I mean HUGE, while the calorie-count is low.
All the veggies are low-cal but filled with vitamins and fiber.
The nuts and seeds give me a reasonable dose of both protein and healthy fat, which keeps me full for a while.
Last, but not least, fermented foods like sauerkraut help break down our food, therefore allowing us to absorb more nutrients and boost our immune systems!


Sorry, I'll quit the ranting and raving. Just try this recipe and then maybe you'll agree that it's the perfect meal- or at least that it tastes awesome!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 medium summer squash
  • 1/2 medium zucchini 
  • 2/3 cup raw sauerkraut
  • 2 tbs. raw cashews (soaked overnight)
  • 1-2 tbs. lemon juice
  • Dash of curry powder, dill, cayenne pepper, celery salt
  • 2 tbs. raw sunflower seeds
  • 4 drops Bragg's liquid aminos
Cashew sauce should look something like this
Directions:

  • Slice squash and zucchini into spaghetti-like strips using a julienne peeler or a lemon zester*
  • Add sauerkraut and mix well
  • Meanwhile, place cashews and spices in food processor
  • Pulse until smooth and slightly liquid-y (adding lemon juice as needed)
  • Stir cashew sauce into salad
  • Place sunflower seeds and aminos in food processor
  • Pulse about 4 times
  • Sprinkle seeds over salad and serve



*I don't have a julienne, so I use this lemon zester, which works great!



No comments:

Post a Comment