Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Peanut Butter Custard Cups


In case you didn't know, today is National Peanut Butter Day!
Peanut butter is my all-time favorite food. I could eat it by the jarful if I wanted to- which I must admit is often very tempting.

I didn't even discover my love for peanut butter until a few years ago. I had lived 14 years without realizing it's awesomeness (is that a word?)

My brother had always been obsessed with PB while I overlooked it and chose to eat other things. However, upon becoming vegetarian, I began eating it all the time. 

Initially it was just your typical PB&J's or sometimes PB & bananas, when I was feeling adventurous.
However, I soon discovered how versatile the condiment was.

I added peanut butter to yogurt, smoothies, oatmeal, and even savory dishes like stir-fries and soups.


In honor of this grand holiday, I whipped up some mini peanut butter custards with caramel topping.
They're a great grab-and-go snack or late-night dessert. And they look really cute.

I mean, who doesn't love mini things?


Ingredients:


  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I use 365 Everyday Value from Whole Foods)
  • 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tsp. agar agar powder (or 2 tbs. flakes)
  • 1/4 cup xylitol
  • 2 tbs. canned coconut milk
  • 2 tbs. brown sugar

Directions:


  • Combine first 4 ingredients in sauce pan
  • Cook on high heat until mixture comes to a boil, stirring continuously
  • Reduce heat and continue stirring until peanut butter and agar are dissolved
  • Pour mixture into lined cupcake pan
  • Place in refrigerator until solid (about 30-60 minutes)
  • Meanwhile, combine coconut milk and brown sugar in small microwave-safe dish
  • Microwave for 30 seconds
  • Stir and spoon over custards

4 comments:

  1. Hi Quincy,
    I like your blog! So great that you are figuring out your passions when you are so young! You go girl! What is xylitol?
    Have a great day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm glad you like it! Xylitol is a natural plant-based sweetener. (You can read more about it here- http://shugurcan.blogspot.com/2012/11/frequently-used-products.html) If you don't have any on hand, I'm sure you could sub a different sweetener like stevia, agave, or cane sugar. However, I haven't tried those with this recipe

      Delete
  2. how many custard cups does this recipe make and is it a normal-sized muffin pan that you use or a mini muffin-pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't even realize I forgot to add that info! I'll have to go back and fix it.
      One recipe makes 12 servings in a normal size cupcake tin

      Delete