In case you didn't know, today is National Peanut Butter Day!
Peanut butter is my all-time favorite food. I could eat it by the jarful if I wanted to- which I must admit is often very tempting.
I didn't even discover my love for peanut butter until a few years ago. I had lived 14 years without realizing it's awesomeness (is that a word?)
My brother had always been obsessed with PB while I overlooked it and chose to eat other things. However, upon becoming vegetarian, I began eating it all the time.
Initially it was just your typical PB&J's or sometimes PB & bananas, when I was feeling adventurous.
However, I soon discovered how versatile the condiment was.
I added peanut butter to yogurt, smoothies, oatmeal, and even savory dishes like stir-fries and soups.
In honor of this grand holiday, I whipped up some mini peanut butter custards with caramel topping.
They're a great grab-and-go snack or late-night dessert. And they look really cute.
I mean, who doesn't love mini things?
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I use 365 Everyday Value from Whole Foods)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp. agar agar powder (or 2 tbs. flakes)
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 2 tbs. canned coconut milk
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- Combine first 4 ingredients in sauce pan
- Cook on high heat until mixture comes to a boil, stirring continuously
- Reduce heat and continue stirring until peanut butter and agar are dissolved
- Pour mixture into lined cupcake pan
- Place in refrigerator until solid (about 30-60 minutes)
- Meanwhile, combine coconut milk and brown sugar in small microwave-safe dish
- Microwave for 30 seconds
- Stir and spoon over custards