Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rejuvelade

So I've never really been one for soda. The bubbles are just too much for me.
My friends all laugh at me when I say this, but it's not a joke!



Carbonated drinks leave me feeling full and bloated.
I like the taste of fizzy drinks, but not the effects they have on me.

Or at least that was the case before I made a discovery. One of the greatest discoveries I've made; a finding that has changed my life! (Am I being too dramatic?)

The great items I have stumbled across are fermented beverages.
They are bubbly, but only slightly. They're healthy too! They are natural, probiotic, and free of all the chemical additives in traditional soda.

Kombucha was my first victim. I quickly became obsessed. If there was Kombucha in my presence, I couldn't help but buy it.

Unfortunately, this is a very expensive habit. 
I want to start making my own, I just haven't gotten around to buying a scoby yet.

The second fermented drink I discovered is Rejuvelac, made popular by Ann Wigmore.
I like it just as much as Kombucha; maybe even more!

It's super easy to make. I add agave syrup and lemon juice to it to make Rejuvelade
(which- as the name explains- is a combo of rejuvelac and lemonade).

This is now the first thing i drink every morning. It's a very refreshing start to my day.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa (or other grain such as wheat berries, rye, or barley)
  • 4 cups filtered water
  • 1 cup lemon juice 
  • 2 tbs. + 2 tsp. agave
One batch makes 4 servings (about 1+ 1/4 cup each)

Directions:
  • Rinse quinoa and soak in a jar overnight (with cheesecloth or paper towel secured around top)
  • Drain quinoa, replace paper towel, and place jar in a cool, light room 
  • Rinse quinoa twice daily until sprouts appear (sprouting times vary, but my batches usually take about 3 days)
  • Once quinoa is sprouted, add filtered water and replace paper towel
  • Let sit for about 3 days, stirring daily
  • Rejuvelac should taste similar to lemonade and be slightly fizzy
  • Once ready, drain liquid into separate jar and discard quinoa sprouts
  • Stir in lemon juice and agave (or omit for straight rejuvelac)
*Sometimes I'll add cayenne pepper and fresh ginger for an extra kick!




No comments:

Post a Comment