Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

Banana Cream Porridge


Lately I have been taking one day out of my week to eat completely raw.

Why?
1. Because of the numerous health and environmental benefits of raw food (read about them here)
2. Because, as someone with a history of disordered eating, this makes it easier for me to eat intuitively and refrain from obsessing about calories and/or macronutrients 

*I've come to realize that I'm much more in tune with what my body wants and needs when I'm eating foods that are closest to their natural state.

In addition, it has been a push for me to come up with more raw recipes- to appeal to a wider variety of readers with varying dietary preferences.

I've only faced one problem: many raw ingredients require hours of soaking, sprouting, or dehydrating before they are ready to be used.

I'm all for using these techniques, and I think they are a great way to get added nutrition. BUT, sometimes I need a quick meal and I don't want to think so far in advance to prepare it.

Thank God for buckwheat groats!
Only 30 minutes of soaking, and they are ready to eat.
They make a mean raw breakfast porridge, like the one shown below.


I'm lucky enough to have family connections to the buckwheat industry, so I always have some handy. (Thanks Nana!)
Therefore, I make this porridge all the time!


Ingredients:
Directions:
  • Soak buckwheat in water for 30 mins. -1 hr.
  • Drain and place in food processor with milk and 1/2 banana
  • Pulse until blended but still chunky
  • Serve with remaining banana sliced on top (I also sprinkled mine with flax seeds)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Quincy Leah:
    You say that the raw food recipes are too complicated - please go to my blog (http://prettysmartrawfoodideas.wordpress.com) and look at some of the recipes I have (kale/cashew cheeze stuffed tomatoes, marinated greens (kale or collards), beets, banana ice cream....
    About the only thing that I make that takes some time is the crackers or kale chips (but then I have them around for a week or so, after they're made)
    The recipes in raw food books are supposed to entice you to want to eat more raw, but, I think, they scare people away, because so many of them take so long to make. If you have a food processor, you can make so many things (pates, apple sauce, sauces), very quickly. My dinner doesn't take much more than a half hour to put together.
    When I was in graduate school, I just used to finely chop cabbage, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and tomatoes, throw them in a bowl, add olive oil, black pepper, and kelp powder, toss it all, and eat of it as much as I liked, then put the rest in the fridge and add more the next day (after about 4 days, I would throw what was left in a pot and make soup) This worked for me because I was working full time and going to grad school full time and on an invisible budget.
    I hope this helps you.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to check out your site! As someone who's also in school and working I am always happy to find quick and inexpensive healthy meal ideas- that chopped veggie dish sounds good. I've never tried kelp powder but I'll have to give it a shot.

      Delete