Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

All Things Green

I would like to start off this post by raving over this absolutely amazing homemade "Shamrock Shake" that I had this morning.


I have fond memories of drinking the traditional St.Patty's day treat as a child.
I can't imagine drinking one now, or even setting foot in a McDonald's.

However, I still wanted to make something festive so I opted for my own all natural version- 
no high fructose corn syrup, blue 1, or yellow 5 in sight. Just lots and lots of vitamins.

I know that recreating a Shamrock Shake is not exactly a new concept in the blog world-
but my "milkshake" was so good that I couldn't help but post it! (See recipe below)

Speaking of green, I am delighted to say that a few days ago I was featured in Gena's Green Recovery Series over at Choosing Raw. (Check out my post here!)


The Green Recovery Series is a compilation of stories about how plant-based diets have helped people suffering from eating disorders.

It was an honor to be able to share my experience on this topic.
I am very passionate about helping others through their own disorders. You are not alone!
I want to raise awareness in any way possible and spread the word about just how damaging (emotionally, mentally, physically) eating disorders can be.

On another note, I would like to bring up the relationship between a plant-based diet and one's ecological footprint.
Eating vegan is just one more way to "go green" that has a much bigger impact than you may realize.

One of the main reasons I initially turned towards an animal-free diet was because of the positive impact it had on the earth. Every day I find more and more evidence backing up veganism as the most environmentally conscious diet.

Now before thinking I'm about to go all "save the rainforest" on you, please take note:
I would like to think I'm pretty passive- I don't set out to force my views upon anyone.
I'm in no way trying to covert readers through this post; it is just food for thought.

 Inhabitants of this planet do need to change something if we want our home to provide for us for generations to come. The more that we choose plant-based food options over animal-based, the further we get from a future of diminished resources and environmental degradation.

I recently finished reading This Crazy Vegan Life by Christina Pirello. I devoured this book- mainly because I was so intrigued by how it related veganism to all aspects of life.

Did you know that livestock in the  US eat 80% of the grain that our country grows?
According to this Christina (via Frances Moore Lappé), if everyone in the US cut meat consumption by just 10% (think one meatless meal a week) then there would be enough grain to feed every starving person in the world!

That alone would be enough for me to make the switch! But what about you?
There's multiple ways in which a vegan diet benefits the earth
I won't chew your ear off with more information, but if you're interested you can find more here
(or you can read Christina's book!)

Go green, and happy St. Patrick's Day!


Ingredients:
  • 3 cups sliced banana (frozen)
  • 2 cups chopped kale (frozen)
  • 1/2 cup coconut water (I used this)
  • 2 tbs. hemp protein (I used this)
  • 1 tsp. maca powder
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in blender
  • Blend until smooth, adding additional water or coconut water as needed (I used enough to get mine to the consistency of soft serve)
*One recipe yields 4 servings. Servings may be more or less than 1+1/2 cup, depending on how much liquid you use.

1 comment: