Search This Blog

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Chocolate-Glazed Coconut Eggs

Happy Easter!

I am writing from New Jersey, where it feels a lot less like spring than I would like. 
The weather here is about the same as it's been home in NC- cloudy, blustery, and just plain cold.

I would love to be out enjoying some sunshine but that's not really an option, so I'll be spending my Easter indoors opening baskets with my family. 

I may be 18, but I'll admit that I still love Easter baskets. I instantly feel like a kid again- waking up to find the woven containers overflowing with colorful eggs and candy. 

Except I'm not a fan of artificial and overly processed candy anymore. And eggs? I'll take plastic but definitely not the real thing.

So how do I bridge this gap? How can I possibly enjoy my Easter without all the traditions that make it what it is?

Well, I make new traditions. Just because I opt for a diet that is loving to my own body as well as animals does not mean I have to miss out on Easter goodies and traditions. I can just modify them to meet my needs.

Take these eggs, for instance.

My grandma always used to buy some every year that were very similar. Chocolate coating with a creamy coconut center. The simple flavor combination of chocolate and coconut is phenomenal and I wanted a vegan version to enjoy. So I thought why not make my own?
These little guys are raw, easy to make, and oh-so festive.

Aren't they cute? They taste pretty damn good too.


Make some to share (or not) and have a happy holiday!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
  • 2 tbs. raw almond milk
  • 1 tbs. raw cashew butter
  • 1 tsp. stevia extract
  • 2 tbs. agave
  • 1 tbs. cacao powder

Directions:
  • Pulse coconut in food processor until fine
  • Add milk, cashew butter, and stevia
  • Pulse again until smooth
  • Scoop onto cookie sheet (lined with wax paper) and form into 8 egg-shaped clusters
  • Mix together cacao powder and agave (it will be clumpy and dry at first, but if you stir enough it will soon turn into a thick liquid)
  • Spoon chocolate over eggs until fully coated
  • Freeze until ready to eat



2 comments:

  1. Oh how pretty! Thank you for sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays. Check back on Friday to see if you were one of the Top 3! We hope to see you again this week. You can submit a post from Friday to end of Tuesday:
    http://www.greenthickies.com/healthy-vegan-fridays

    ReplyDelete