Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Raw Shepherd's Pie


Happy Pi Day! Not pie, pi. As in 3.14.
Although this is a math term (and I hate math) I have decided to recognize the "holiday" anyway-
despite my inclinations against anything math-related.

I love any excuse to make something new! Especially pie. So I made one in honor of the day.
The pie I've decided to make for this special occasion is savory. And raw at that!

I'm breaking all sorts of boundaries today, aren't I?

On top of wanting a savory pie, I also wanted something versatile.
Shepherd's pie definitely does the trick!


It's an Irish dish- so feel free to make it for St.Patrick's Day.
Or, you could make it for Easter. I mean, it has the word shepherd in the name... What's more biblical than that?
Heck, you could even make it for Passover. It's kosher too!


See how versatile? I just listed 4 different occasions you could celebrate using this one little pie.
Maybe you can think of even more?

Ingredients:
  • 8 asparagus spears
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1+1/2 cups diced turnips
  • 1+1/2 cups diced zucchini
  • 2 tbs. olive oil
  • 1 tbs. Bragg's liquid amino acid
  • 1 tbs. lemon juice
  • 2 cups cauliflower
  • 1 tbs. tahini
Directions:
  • Set aside cauliflower and tahini
  • Combine remaining ingredients in bowl and let marinate for 2-3 hours
  • Drain remaining liquid from marinated vegetables and set aside
  • Place vegetables in casserole dish
  • Place cauliflower, tahini, and remaining liquid in food processor
  • Pulse until smooth and spread over top of vegetables
  • Serve immediately or store in the fridge overnight*


Shared on Nomday Monday.

*I refrigerated my pie and ate it the next day. I prefer doing this because there is more time for the vegetables to marinate. However, take caution because the pie will be cold and some people don't like it this way.


1 comment:

  1. Nice! I've never had a traditional version before. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete