Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rosemary Waffles with Hollandaise Sauce


I am delighted to say that this is the first month I am a part of Recipe Redux!
The challenge for this month was to use a green herb in a nontraditional way- and I must admit that at first I struggled a bit.

I had plenty of ideas for how I could incorporate herbs into my cooking or baking, but none of them seemed right. They were either too common or way too out there- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just wasn't what I was going for this time around.


I finally decided upon waffles. But not just any waffles. Savory ones- filled with aromatic rosemary- that would be perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

For years as a kid, I would eat waffles every single Sunday.
My dad would make dozens after church and the whole family would sit down for a feast.
Of course, there were always leftovers so we would freeze them and eat them later on throughout the week.

Whether for breakfast as we were running out the door or as an after-school snack, waffles were a staple in my household. 


Inspired by my dad's recipe, I put a healthy and vegan twist on the original waffle. And of course filled them with fresh herbs from the garden!  
I also used a bean-based flour and topped them with a homemade "hollandaise"- which complimented the rosemary perfectly. 

Don't tell anyone, but I think these waffles may have been more of a hit with my family than my dad's originals!

They would make a great Easter brunch, or maybe a scrumptious dinner, at any time of the year.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup garbanzo & fava flour (or you can use straight chickpea flour)
  • ¾ cup brown rice flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 4 tbs. coconut oil
  • 2 tsp. chopped rosemary
  • 2+1/3 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 3 egg replacers
  • 1 tbs. agave
  • 2 tbs. agar powder














Directions:

  • Stir agar into 1/4 cup water until fully dissolved, and then place in the freezer (this will serve as your egg whites)
  • Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl 
  • Combine oil, milk, and egg replacers in separate bowl
  • Take agar out of the fridge and whisk until fluffy
  • Pour agar and oil/milk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth
  • Gently fold in rosemary and agave
  • Oil and heat waffle iron
  • Pour batter into iron and close
  • Cook until there is no longer steam coming from the waffle iron and they are a golden-brown color (some waffle irons will tell you when the waffle is done)
*For hollandaise sauce, I simply combined some melted Earthbalance with a little bit of nutritional yeast (at a 3:1 ratio) and added a pinch of turmeric. It firms up pretty quickly after being poured, just like hollandaise


*One recipe filled my waffle maker twice, making 8 waffles. Nutritional info does not include sauce


5 comments:

  1. I am loving all of these vegan posts on the recipe redux! Welcome! There are a few plant-based RDs on here :)

    These waffles look awesome! I used to love freezer waffles, especially for dinner. Will be trying these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad to see all the vegan recipes too- They're definitely going to keep me busy over the next few weeks

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, these sound amazing! Welcome to ReDux - think you hit it out of the park with your creativity for your first post with us :)

    ReplyDelete