Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Two-Ingredient "Pay Day"


Easter is fast approaching, and with that comes eggs, bunnies, and loads of ooey, gooey candy.

When I was younger, the candy was always my favorite part of Easter- and probably my parents' least favorite part...
But only because I would normally devour all of my candy in under an hour- and then crash from the sugar rush a short while later. Let's just say I was an avid candy eater as a kid.

One year I was nibbling on a cookies 'n' cream chocolate rabbit with so much enthusiasm that it pulled my loose tooth right out! Oh, the memories.


Just because I'm vegan now does not mean that I stay away from all that is sugary and sweet.
Sure, there are plenty of vegan candy bars on the market (and even some that are accidentally vegan), but I would rather make my own bars. Ones that are low fat and low GI (so they won't cause a spike in blood sugar like other goodies might).

This Easter, I will be scarfing down some raw Pay Day bars! They taste just like the real thing but they contain much more wholesome ingredients.

They're a wonderful treat to wrap up & sneak into some Easter baskets this year- if you don't eat them all first!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates
  • 3 tbs. raw peanuts
Directions:
  • Blend the dates in food processor until smooth, adding water as needed (I used 1/4 cup)
  • Mold date mixture into one long strip on a cookie sheet
  • Top with peanuts (making sure to press them in so they don't fall off)
  • Freeze until solid (about 1 hour)
  • Let thaw slightly and cut into 4 segments



No comments:

Post a Comment