The other day my mom brought me home a Chayote squash that she had found in the supermarket.
I had heard of this fruit before (yes, it is technically a fruit) but I didn't know anything about how it tasted or should be prepared.
I did a little bit of research to inform myself on the food. Google is such a life saver!
I found that it is very similar to an apple- which sparked the idea for this salad.
I wanted to recreate the traditional apple and cheese salad with raw cheese crumbles and Chayote instead of apples. These little substitutions were enough to give it a twist without straying too far from the original recipe.
I have to say that I was very pleased with the results. I am always a fan of sweet & salty combinations and this salad had just that.
The squash and strawberry vinaigrette paired perfectly with my tangy brazil nut cheese. It was a hit with the whole family!
Although this recipe is simple, it's sure to satisfy. I can guarantee that is is soon to be a favorite among omnivores and vegans alike.
- 1 medium Chayote squash
- 1+1/2 cups mustard greens
- 1 cup romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 tsp. agave
- 4 brazil nuts
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Dash of celery salt
- Dice squash and place in bowl on top of salad greens
- Pulse brazil nuts, lemon juice, and celery salt in food processor until it turns into "crumbles" (make sure to scrape it down the sides every so often)
- Sprinkle "cheese" on top of salad
- Puree strawberries and agave together, then drizzle on top of salad and serve