Search This Blog

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Chayote & "Cheese" Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette



The other day my mom brought me home a Chayote squash that she had found in the supermarket.
I had heard of this fruit before (yes, it is technically a fruit) but I didn't know anything about how it tasted or should be prepared.

I did a little bit of research to inform myself on the food. Google is such a life saver!
I found that it is very similar to an apple- which sparked the idea for this salad.

I wanted to recreate the traditional apple and cheese salad with raw cheese crumbles and Chayote instead of apples. These little substitutions were enough to give it a twist without straying too far from the original recipe. 


I have to say that I was very pleased with the results. I am always a fan of sweet & salty combinations and this salad had just that.

The squash and strawberry vinaigrette paired perfectly with my tangy brazil nut cheese. It was a hit with the whole family!


Although this recipe is simple, it's sure to satisfy. I can guarantee that is is soon to be a favorite among omnivores and vegans alike. 


Ingredients:

  • 1 medium Chayote squash
  • 1+1/2 cups mustard greens
  • 1 cup romaine lettuce
  • 1/2 cup strawberries
  • 1 tsp. agave 
  • 4 brazil nuts
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • Dash of celery salt

Directions:

  • Dice squash and place in bowl on top of salad greens
  • Pulse brazil nuts, lemon juice, and celery salt in food processor until it turns into "crumbles" (make sure to scrape it down the sides every so often)
  • Sprinkle "cheese" on top of salad
  • Puree strawberries and agave together, then drizzle on top of salad and serve


1 comment:

  1. Love this recipe!! And love the idea with strawberry dressing. Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete