Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chocolate Protein Power Bowl


As someone recovering from an eating disorder, I am ashamed to admit this- but I have betrayed fat. 
Or should I say, I had betrayed fat... until now.

You may be wondering how this happened. How Quincy- lover of peanut butter and avocados- banned or severely limited all my favorite forms of healthy fats from my diet. 

It all started when I decided to do a spring detox.

 I have written before about how eating disorders are not something that can just be "cured". The symptoms still come up and they are sneakier every time.

So I should have seen the red flags when I decided to experiment with low-fat raw veganism, or 80/10/10. For those of you who don't know, this diet is one that consists mainly of raw fruit with limited amounts of greens, nuts, and seeds. 


I had seen this diet popping up all over food blogs and health sites, and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. My journey started out as a 4 day detox, just to test the waters and cleanse my system.

And the results? I felt great! I was so surprised by how fresh and vibrant I felt at the end of 4 days that  I decided to keep the diet up. The longer I went, the more I researched... and the more brainwashed I allowed myself to become. After a while the diet proved to be less than sustainable for me, yet I continued on. 

My obsessive drive to be "healthy" can lead me to believe anything. Give me a little evidence and some testimonials and I'm all in. I listen 100% to the voice of orthorexia and completely ignore my body.

So ironic, isn't it? I want to do what's best for my body but what I end up doing is throwing it under the bus (metaphorically, of course).

I don't want to go on a rant here, but stay tuned for a future post on my experience with 80/10/10.
For now, here's the take home point: I do need fat in my diet. Maybe others can thrive on low amounts of fat, but my body responds with dry skin, brittle hair, and ice-cold extremities.
Yet I ignored all of my bodies signs in defense of this "perfect" diet and all the health claims that came with it. 


I am so grateful that I caught this downfall now, before it did any serious damage. 
I do see many benefits from eating large amounts of raw foods and I don't think that high-fat diets are healthy either.

However, I should have known better than limiting my fat intake to such low amounts- especially given my history. But to celebrate the reintroduction of fat in my diet, I created this yummy breakfast bowl!

Full of multiple forms of healthy fat, plus protein to boot. 
Strong nails, smooth skin, healthy & shiny hair: here I come!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
  • 1/4 cup raw oats
  • 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries 
  • 1 scoop raw protein powder (I used Garden of Life Vanilla)
  • 1 tbs. cacao powder
  • 1 tbs. chia seeds
  • 1 tbs. flax seeds
  • 1 tbs. reduced fat shredded coconut
  • 3/4 tsp. stevia extract (or to taste)
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in bowl
  • Cover with water (until the surface is covered by about 1/4 - 1/2 inch)
  • Stir well and place in fridge for about an hour (or overnight)
  • Remove from fridge and stir well


9 comments:

  1. Good girl! I don't know what kind of eating disorder you have experienced -- I am starch/sugar sensitive (which can make one seem like a raving addict, and your comments make it sound to me like you have some similar type of sensitivity), but I applaud your ability to get hold of yourself and see what works for you.
    80/10/10 is a very seductive diet for those who have fallen for the low-fat diet (but I often say that "low fat" does not mean "no fat on you" - people have gotten fatter since the low-fat idea came out) Now, the AMA is slowly reversing itself, admitting that we do need to eat good fats. I personally try to stick to a 40/30/30 approach to eating (40% carbs, i.e. vegetables, fruit,etc; 30% protein, and 30% good fats. You have to eyeball if you are doing raw - the vegetables have protein, and the raw nuts and seeds have carbs and fats.) In my experience, most people who have trouble sticking to a raw or even high raw diet are doing a low-fat diet, which tends to result in mega-cravings.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have struggled with both anorexia and orthorexia but have no known food sensitivities. I completely agree that 80/10/10 seems very appealing- at least it did to me. I believe that maybe it works for some, but that everyone's body has different needs. And I definitely experienced some serious cravings!
      I really appreciate your encouragement, thanks!

      Delete
  2. The recipe looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello :-)

    Just had to stop by to tell you how scrumptious your creation looks - like the perfect post-workout meal actually. Who would have thought that you'd encourage people to get fit with your recipe ;-)

    No, seriously, it looks like the perfect healthy comfort food for me - words of praise from a sugar deprived girl on the candida diet in Cornwall, UK!

    (The diet I'm on for health reasons allows for tons of fat, mainly coconut oil, but virtually no sugar - big shock to the system - so I know where you're coming from with your 80/10/1/ experience...

    All my best,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right, it would be good after a nice sweat session! I always try to have protein right after working out.
      I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad that this recipe can accommodate your diet (:

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this at Raw Foods Thursdays. Since I just put the power bowl together for tomorrow morning's breakfast, I will be dreaming about it all night long! Can't wait to taste it. I do overnight raw breakfasts quite often, but I love your chocolate twist! I'll be highlighting this tomorrow at Raw Foods Thursdays. Again, thanks so much for linking up!!

    I do appreciate you sharing about orthorexia. Those of us who are health nuts need to be wary. We so desperately want to be healthy that we often go overboard and ignore the warning signs that our healthy intentions are actually unhealthy. I look forward to your post on your 80/10/10 experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to be highlighted- thank you!! I hope you enjoy the recipe.
      I am very passionate about getting the word out about orthorexia because I believe it is a serious disorder that is often overlooked... You are so right about going overboard. I think true health is about listening to our bodies' wants and needs

      Delete
  5. Quincy, I LOVE this recipe! Glad I doubled it because I'm looking forward to a great breakfast again today! Pinning this on our Raw Thursdays board. Hope you'll come back and link up more of your raw delights!

    ReplyDelete