Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

It's funny how fads come and go. One minute something is popular and the next minute it's incredibly passé. You see this with everything from fashion to music to food- especially in the blog world.

It seems as though the key to success in any of these areas is beating the trends (or even better, starting your own). Although you must ensure that you are "over it" and onto the next thing before your trend actually becomes popular. The whole idea sounds a little exhausting, in my opinion. 


I'm all for creativity and the development of new ideas, but I will no longer allow myself to feel as though I must always follow the crowd. 
I used to get very wrapped up in owning or knowing about the newest, coolest things.
I believed that this would make me appear cooler and, ultimately, make me happier.

The older I've gotten, the more that I've come to own my sense of style. I'm not just talking about what I wear... I'm talking about who I am as a person, including my whole array of likes and dislikes.

I used to be insecure about my love for reading, for example. Now I could care less what people think!

I've realized that being honest about my preferences makes me much happier than falling victim to any fad.
If something becomes popular that I'm not too into, I won't force myself to conform. I also won't give up something that I do like just because it is no longer "happening".


This month, Recipe Redux posed the question: "Can you not get enough cupcakes... or are you so over the cupcake trend?"

The whole "cupcake trend" had been going strong for a while after it made a reappearance a few years ago. It has repeatedly risen and fallen in popularity, like any good fad does.

At one point I was a little fed up with seeing cupcakes absolutely everywhere. I mean, brownies and cookies are equally important parts of a balanced diet! But damn they sure are good... And cute too!

Even though cupcakes are a little less prominent than they were a while back, I still enjoy them.
I will not stop enjoying them just because they're not the cool, new kids anymore. (Ownership, right?)


Cupcakes have a variety of benefits that far outweigh their decline in popularity.
They are portable, a perfect portion size, and a nice addition to any beverage that might need a sweet accompaniment.

So, without further ado, I give to you this month's Recipe Redux- pink lemonade cupcakes.
A little less rich than traditional cupcakes yet just as satisfying. What's more perfect for spring than a lemonade-flavored treat?

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!

 

Ingredients:

-Cupcakes
  • 1+1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 + 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1/2 cup xylitol
  • 2 +1/2 tsp. stevia extract
  • 1/2 cup Bestlife buttery spread
  • 3/4 cup Ginger Ale Zevia 
  • 1 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
  • 3 egg replacers
  • 2 tbs. lemon extract
  • About 3 drops natural red food coloring (or beet juice)
-Glaze
  • 1/2 cup erythritol
  • 2 tbs. unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:

-Cupcakes
  • Preheat oven to 350º
  • Stir flours and xylitol together in mixing bowl
  • Combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl
  • Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until smooth
  • Pour into 2 lined 12-cupcake tins
  • Bake for about 20-25 minutes (test with a toothpick)
-Glaze
  • Combine ingredients
  • Pour into piping bag and drizzle over cooled cupcakes
*Nutrition info includes glaze



10 comments:

  1. Pink lemonade cupcakes sound PERFECT for summer!!! Just the name is making me crave some lemonade right now! They look so yummy!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cupcake holder. Filled with your pink lemonade cupcakes, they look irresistible. What is ginger ale zevia? Not familiar with that product. I also agree with your viewpoint that as you get older (and wiser), you care less about what others think and do more what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! (I stole it from my mom)
      I love to use carbonated beverages in my baked goods, so I opt for Zevia- a natural, calorie-free soda. It can be found at Whole Foods and other health food stores.

      Delete
  3. What an adorable recipe - these would be so fun for my daughter's birthday come June (though I may not wait until then to make these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and happy very early birthday to your daughter! Let me know how they turn out

      Delete
  4. Love all the interesting substitutes! I've never cooked with xylitol, I'm a stevia girl myself but will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stevia as well, but some of my pickier taste-testers complain that it is has an after-taste. Plus xylitol and erythritol are usually a whole lot cheaper

      Delete
  5. How cute are these cupcakes? And so clean as well! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete