Search This Blog

Monday, May 20, 2013

Ambrosia Salad

I could not believe it when I checked the date today and realized it is almost June. It feels like just yesterday I was registering for spring classes and now the semester is over.

We all know that this time of year is full of events that keep us running... It's no wonder the past few months flew by so quickly. I have been in a constant scramble from one happening to the next, and I know there are many more where that came from. 


Not only is spring filled with various obligations, but many of them request (or require) that a food item is brought to share.

 This month's Recipe Redux challenge was to create a dish that could be served at a shower, graduation, or other spring-time event. 

Upon reading the topic, ambrosia salad immediately came to mind. It is a classic favorite, deeming it appropriate for nearly any occasion. 


This dish is just like your typical ambrosia, minus all the yucky stuff. No white sugar or cow bones (oops, I mean marshmallows) here. Instead I opted for a sunflower cream and a drizzle of agave. 


This is a fairly simple recipe, so your busy spring schedule should allow for the time to whip it up.

It is vegan (of course) and raw as well, but don't let that stop you from serving it at your next get-together. 
It is just as sweet and creamy as any other recipe- even skeptics will be pleased!


One recipe serves 6, but feel free to double or triple the recipe if necessary.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked
  • 2 cups diced pineapple
  • 1 small apple, chopped
  • 2 oranges, chopped
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tbs. agave
Directions:
  • Place sunflower seeds and 3 tbs. water in food processor
  • Pulse until smooth (adding more water if necessary)
  • Combine pineapple, oranges, and apples in separate bowl
  • Pour sunflower cream over fruit
  • Add coconut and agave and mix well


14 comments:

  1. So many nutritious ingredients in one recipe! Amazing :) We love the combo of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could see this becoming the center stage of my breakfast on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking, it would be a great breakfast!

      Delete
  3. Lovely ingredient combo just in time for summer (cannot believe it will be June soon either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's insane how quickly it came! I'm not complaining though (:

      Delete
  4. What a great vegan version of a brunch classic! Love sunflower cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you find unsweetened cconut? I've looked everywhere! Yummy idea for brunch! -Serena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get mine at Whole Foods or on Amazon (it's cheaper!)

      Delete
  6. What a great recipe. I find that anything apple is a big hit at any brunch! I also love that you left the peels on the apples for an extra crunch. I will give this recipe a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I always leave the peels on most of my fruit (even mango and kiwi)! My friends think it's strange but I love the added texture

      Delete