Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Raw Peanut Noodles

I love ethnic recipes. I have for as long as I can remember.
When I was a kid I was fearless. My family always prepared a wide variety of foods that I was happy to sample, no matter how unusual. 


Since becoming vegan, I have come to appreciate different backgrounds of cuisine even more. "Foreign" restaurants usually have many more plant-based options than American restaurants do- basing their menu off of the SAD.

We could really learn something from these other countries!

Indian, Chinese, Greek, and Japanese restaurants almost always have something that suits my needs. My personal favorite places to go are Asian joints because the food is so comforting and rarely contains dairy. Just swap the meat for extra veggies or tofu and you have a meal.



One complaint that I do have with certain Asian meals is that they are very heavy. I have had a number of experiences where I left an Asian restaurant feeling sluggish and ready for a nap. 
(Pad thai is not my friend.)
An overload of processed carbs and fat do not make me a happy camper. 

I would much rather finish a meal feeling vibrant and energetic, which is exactly what you get from this recipe. It is completely raw and the noodles are made from kelp!   


Now I can enjoy the same comfort-food that I know & love and I can feel a lot better about it. 
This recipe is so delicious; I'm not just saying that either. It definitely stands its ground against takeout!

It'll be sure to leave you fulfilled and satisfied, minus the energy drain. 



Ingredients:
  • 1 package kelp noodles
  • 1/4 cup raw peanut butter
  • 2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp. reduced-sodium tamari
  • 1 tsp. agave
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
Directions:
  • Rinse kelp noodles and set aside
  • Combine all other ingredients and pour gradually over noodles
  • Stir well and serve
*One recipe serves 2

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog you have here! Can I link and visit often!? The more VEGAN Food the better :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Of course you can. Thank you, same to you!

      Delete
  2. Yum, yum, YUM! I just had kelp noodles last night with a marinara sauce. Can't get enough of them. I'm trying your peanut noodles tonight! Thanks so much for linking up to Raw Foods Thursdays!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this is good. Enjoying it now over a bed of cucumbers. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm happy you are enjoying it (:

      Delete
  4. My issues with most Asian recipes is that they are heavy on sugar. This is something that non-Asians ignore (I'd say Westerners, but.. do you count as a Westerner, being from Australia?) If you really look at what Asians put in their recipes, you'll see that sugar is a main ingredient, as is salt (no way you can count that out - soy sauce, no matter what you call it, is high sodium).
    You asked what we think about those seaweed noodles - I tried them: you have to jump through some hoops to make them really work, in my experience. I've learned from others that soaking them in water with lemon or vinegar helps make them workable, but I have found that I am not willing to go there. When they first came out, I bought a case (only way to get them at that time) and experimented patiently with each of the 12 packs, until I finally decided that they are too processed, to begin with, and I don't need to do the work required (if I really want to feel like I'm eating pasta, I can make strings of just about any "sort-of-hard vegetable - squash, carrot, beet, daikon, etc., and do all the things I need to do with seaweed noodles, and get a similar or better version). Furthermore, I have never been comfortable with what processing methods are involved in the making of the seaweed noodles. Are they really raw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a lot are heavy in sugar and salt (just like American food) but other cuisines like Japanese tend to be very light. I am a "Westerner"... not from Australia.
      I'm not sure what kind you used but the brand I tried was very easy to work with.

      I am not sure if kelp noodles are really raw, but I am not a strict raw foodist so I overlook this. They are surely more processed than alternative noodles made from spiralized vegetables. I do try to stick mainly to whole foods in their natural state but I enjoy some items like this every once in a while. For me, balance is key!

      Delete