Search This Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Strawberry Cobbler

Happy Memorial Day!
Although I won't be partaking in burgers and hot dogs, I will definitely be eating this today.


This came about the other day there was absolutely no fruit in my house.

Fruit makes up a very large portion of my diet. So when I came downstairs to find that it had all been eaten, I was not happy.

Alas, I did what anyone in this situation would do and ventured to the store to restock. 
But I guess my mom had realized the fruit shortage too... Because I came home with two cartons of strawberries, only to find two more sitting on the counter (among plenty of other groceries).


This was not such a bad surprise. I am very lucky to say that the worst of my problems is having too much food. 

However, I didn't want any of the newly acquired produce to go bad. My mom suggested I make a dessert out of some of the berries to prevent this from happening.


I love any excuse to make (and eat) something sweet, so I gladly accepted her challenge.

Originally I was going to shoot for a strawberry shortcake, but I accidentally landed on a strawberry cobbler instead. The crust I created was too crumbly for shortcake but perfect for this classic treat.


The recipe turned out delicious, if I do say so myself.

Strawberries are obviously a summer fruit and the color also makes them somewhat patriotic.
This is why I think this dessert is great for Memorial Day. I may remake it for the Fourth of July as well.

As a side note:
Although I don't support war, I do support our troops. 
So I would like to say thank you to anyone who has served or is currently serving in the military.

Have a happy holiday!

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups strawberries
  • 1+1/2 tbs. psyllium husk
  • 1 tbs. agave
  • 1 cup dates
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
Directions:
  • Line baking pan with wax paper
  • Blend strawberries in food processor until liquidy
  • Add psyllium husk & agave and pulse until smooth
  • Pour into baking pan
  • Pulse dates and almond meal in food processor until well-mixed and crumbly
  • Sprinkle on top of strawberry filling
  • Place in fridge overnight
*One recipe yields 9 servings



3 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I just love raw treats with such wholesome ingredients. I hope you'll share with Raw Foods Thursdays tomorrow!

    I also wanted you to know that I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. No pressure to participate, but please do if you think it would be fun!

    http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2013/05/the-liebster-award-and-silly-things-about-me/

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! Sure I'll share (:
      Thanks for the nomination!

      Delete