Search This Blog

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pretty in Pink Smoothie

Greetings from Puerto Rico! 
I've been traveling around the Caribbean for the past week or so, but it wasn't until today that I was finally able to access the internet without spending an arm and a leg... So I decided it was about time to post a new recipe.

Sampling all the native Caribbean cuisine these past few days has been really fun. 
But I sure do miss my simple, homemade eats like this fruity beet smoothie.


Beets are my latest obsession. If anything truly showcases nature's beauty, it's these little gems.

I have been adding them to just about everything. Sweet, salty, or sour... everything can use a little bit of beet.


Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to eat beets for the following reasons:
  • They create a magnificent color- no more weird stares for walking around with a green smoothie. These guys cover the green hue right up
  • They add a large dose of nutrition (especially folate- great for cell production)
  • You can add the whole beet (greens included) yet the taste remains perfectly sweet 

I've been making beet smoothies for a while now, but I hadn't gotten the combination just right yet.
They always tasted great, but the color never really met my standards.


Finally, the other day, I created a smoothie that was vibrant enough to share!
This particular combo turned out beautifully.

It is so velvety and smooth. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup frozen sliced bananas
  • 1 cup pineapple
  • 1 large beet (including greens)
  • 1 cup kale
  • 1/4 cup blueberries

Directions:
  • Add all ingredients (except berries) to blender
  • Blend on high speed, adding filtered water as needed
  • Pour and top with blueberries

Shared with Raw Foods Thursdays



2 comments:

  1. Oh YES! That sounds so good. (Both the smoothie AND the vacation!) I just posted a beet smoothie recipe last week. Love the pineapple and kale in yours! Come share at Raw Foods Thursdays. It's hosted at Sift, Stir & Savor this week.

    Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vacation was awesome! I'm glad to be back home though.
      Your version of the smoothie sounds amazing as well- I just checked it out.
      I'll definitely have to try adding some almond butter next time (:

      Delete