Greetings from Puerto Rico!
I've been traveling around the Caribbean for the past week or so, but it wasn't until today that I was finally able to access the internet without spending an arm and a leg... So I decided it was about time to post a new recipe.
Sampling all the native Caribbean cuisine these past few days has been really fun.
But I sure do miss my simple, homemade eats like this fruity beet smoothie.
Beets are my latest obsession. If anything truly showcases nature's beauty, it's these little gems.
I have been adding them to just about everything. Sweet, salty, or sour... everything can use a little bit of beet.
Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to eat beets for the following reasons:
- They create a magnificent color- no more weird stares for walking around with a green smoothie. These guys cover the green hue right up
- They add a large dose of nutrition (especially folate- great for cell production)
- You can add the whole beet (greens included) yet the taste remains perfectly sweet
I've been making beet smoothies for a while now, but I hadn't gotten the combination just right yet.
They always tasted great, but the color never really met my standards.
Finally, the other day, I created a smoothie that was vibrant enough to share!
This particular combo turned out beautifully.
It is so velvety and smooth. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
- 1 cup frozen sliced bananas
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 large beet (including greens)
- 1 cup kale
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Add all ingredients (except berries) to blender
- Blend on high speed, adding filtered water as needed
- Pour and top with blueberries
Shared with Raw Foods Thursdays