Search This Blog

Friday, June 21, 2013

Sesame Seed Pesto


In all honesty, I was not very prepared for this month's Recipe Redux challenge.
I planned on having the recipe created and photographed weeks ago, but one thing led to another and I got a bit behind. 

At first I had the idea for seed-infused popsicles, but was informed that we own no ice pop molds.
I know, the blasphemy!

My next idea was seed-encrusted fruit (specifically peaches), but that plan fell through as well.
I am going out of town soon, so the availability of fresh fruit in my house is pretty limited.


We are trying to go through what we have- and not buy any more- so that we don't have to throw away spoiled produce after vacation.

I have been distracting myself with planning and packing for my upcoming trip...and therefore not giving as much time to cooking or "uncooking" as I would like.

Despite all this, I managed to make the most of the circumstances. Often times limited resources can cause me to be more creative. I must learn to work with what I have. 

And what do I have?


Herbs... and lots of them. Growing all over my yard.

That's how I decided upon pesto for my next recipe. 

I (obviously) ditched the parmesan in favor of a vegan version.
Then I decided to add some sesame seeds. They keep with this month's Recipe Redux theme and add a nice nuttiness to the sauce. 

Pesto is a very versatile condiment that always reminds me of summertime.


I slather it on everything from bread to corn. Mix it into pasta. Spoon it over veggies.
It never gets old!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup packed basil
  • 1 cup packed parsley
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds (soaked overnight and drained)
  • 3 tbs. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt

Directions:

  • Place sesame seeds in food processor and pulse several times
  • Add basil and parsley and continue to blend, scraping down the sides as needed (note: I could not fit all the herbs into the processor at once. It is easier to add a little at a time so that the leaves can be broken down more efficiently)
  • Add remaining ingredients and blend until the herbs have become pretty liquid-y and the oil has taken on a green hue (it helps to add the oil intermittently between pulses rather than all at once)
Recipe makes 10 servings

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using sesame seeds rather than pine nuts or walnuts. I also always seem to have jars of sesame seeds on hand and not many places to use them. Definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wanted to try something different. I'm glad your extra seeds can go to good use (:

      Delete
  2. looks delicious... may just be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite being last minute, this pesto sure sounds yummy and is such a gorgeous green!

    ReplyDelete