Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sparkling Green Tonic


It has recently become a tradition in my house for my mom and I to visit our local farmer's market every Saturday morning. 

As lame as it may sound, I get genuinely excited to sample the fare and find new products. 
I know this is unusual for most 18 year olds- but I embrace my interests, no matter how different they may be. 

Zen Cat Bakery usually receives most of my spending money whenever it has a booth at the market.
zencatbakery.com
And of course I always buy a ton of produce.


I mainly frequent the farmer's market during summer because of the availability of affordable organic fruits and veggies. It is so much cheaper than at the grocery store! Plus I like to support local farmers.


When I was at the market last week, there was a woman selling Stevia plants. 
I had never considered growing my own (or even realized that I could use the leaves rather than the powder or liquid that you see for sale).

But now that I have tried the whole-foods version, I don't wanna go back! 
I like the taste of natural, raw Stevia better. It doesn't contain fillers like erythritol or dextrose.
And it sure beats the price of the store-bought stuff!

I first tried the leaves in this recipe, and was very pleased with the result.
(A little goes a long way!)


If you can find a Stevia plant to buy, I highly recommend doing so.

Ingredients:
  • 1 small apple
  • 1 cup kale (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
  • 1 tsp. fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sparkling water
  • 2 raw stevia leaves (or stevia extract- to taste)

Directions:
  • Blend all ingredients on high speed until smooth (strain if desired)

Nutritional info is for unstrained juice

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen stevia plants to buy? Do you think Whole foods would carry one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either until the other day! I've never seen them at Whole Foods (although I've never looked).
      However, you can buy them online on Amazon or at http://stevia-plant.com/

      Delete