Search This Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2013

PB&C Açaí Bowl

I'm back home at last!

Leaving the beautiful Caribbean was bittersweet. The whole ambiance was amazing. Food, people, scenery, everything. However, it's nice to be back for a little while before I head out again to New York for a few days.


There were tons of amazing vegan spots that I visited while traveling (and will be writing about very soon).

One of my favorites was an açaí and smoothie bar called Bajuice. It was just a few doors down from my hotel in San Juan, so I stopped there quite a bit for my post-workout breakfasts.

Their "Monkey Bowl" (the classic açaí + peanut butter) soon became my favorite. I also added some kale powder and maca for good measure.
It was a perfect way to cool down and refuel after runs on the beach.


Even though I'm back in the States, I've been continuing my pattern of açaí breakfasts. 
I may even prefer them over my beloved protein smoothies (gasp!) 

I've gotten into an açaí bowl rut because this particular combo is just so damn good! 
I was inspired by the monkey bowl but then added a little of my own flair.


If you have any other açaí recipe ideas, I would love to hear them.
Please feel free to share!

Ingredients:
  • 1 packet açaí puree
  • 1 cup sliced frozen bananas
  • 1 tbs. cacao powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut water
  • 1 tbs. nut butter of choice (I used sunflower butter)
  • 1 tsp. hemp seeds
Directions:

  • Break açaí into small chunks
  • Place into blender or food processor along with banana and coconut water and begin to (slowly) blend
  • Once the mixture begins to break down, add cacao powder and nut butter and blend until smooth (you will probably be tempted to add more liquid, but don't- as the açaí bowl will become too liquidy. Just be patient and continue to blend)
  • Pour into bowl and top with hemp seeds



2 comments:

  1. Yum!
    Of course this recipe caught my eye since I blog for the SunButter brand of sunflower butter, but since I'm on a bit of a acai binge lately, I'm so grateful for a new recipe to try. I will close my eyes while eating it and imagine I am in the Islands! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SunButter is my favorite nut butter by far!
      I'm so glad you like the recipe. And of course dreaming of vacations does make everything so much better (:

      Delete