I'm back home at last!
Leaving the beautiful Caribbean was bittersweet. The whole ambiance was amazing. Food, people, scenery, everything. However, it's nice to be back for a little while before I head out again to New York for a few days.
There were tons of amazing vegan spots that I visited while traveling (and will be writing about very soon).
One of my favorites was an açaí and smoothie bar called Bajuice. It was just a few doors down from my hotel in San Juan, so I stopped there quite a bit for my post-workout breakfasts.
Their "Monkey Bowl" (the classic açaí + peanut butter) soon became my favorite. I also added some kale powder and maca for good measure.
It was a perfect way to cool down and refuel after runs on the beach.
Even though I'm back in the States, I've been continuing my pattern of açaí breakfasts.
I may even prefer them over my beloved protein smoothies (gasp!)
I've gotten into an açaí bowl rut because this particular combo is just so damn good!
I was inspired by the monkey bowl but then added a little of my own flair.
If you have any other açaí recipe ideas, I would love to hear them.
Please feel free to share!
- 1 packet açaí puree
- 1 cup sliced frozen bananas
- 1 tbs. cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1 tbs. nut butter of choice (I used sunflower butter)
- 1 tsp. hemp seeds
- Break açaí into small chunks
- Place into blender or food processor along with banana and coconut water and begin to (slowly) blend
- Once the mixture begins to break down, add cacao powder and nut butter and blend until smooth (you will probably be tempted to add more liquid, but don't- as the açaí bowl will become too liquidy. Just be patient and continue to blend)
- Pour into bowl and top with hemp seeds