Search This Blog

Monday, July 15, 2013

Puerto Rican Hash

Growing up, my family rarely ate out.
We preferred home-cooked meals, usually prepared by my mom.


My dad cooked a bit, mainly dabbling with breakfast foods from time to time.
 My mom, however, attended culinary school for a while and has always been the real chef of the family.

She's made many different dishes over the years- some simple and some not so simple.
The one that I always loved the most was a basic and inexpensive meal composed of Latin staples:
black beans, rice, plaintains, and a fried egg.


My recent trip to Puerto Rico reignited my love for this dish.
Obviously I no longer eat eggs, and rice is pretty rare for me as well (since I just don't like it that much).

But I wanted to create something similar that I could still enjoy.
I chose to take the two remaining components of my favorite meal- black beans and plantains- to incorporate into this dish.

Delicious with a side of fresh mango!
Originally I was going to make an omelette, using chickpea batter as the base. Unfortunately, the batter wasn't quite thick enough for flipping. But that was okay, because I created this hash instead!

Personally, I think these flavors lend themselves better to a hash than an omelette anyway.
I know the tastes seem strange together, but they are absolutely delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup ripe plaintains (sliced)
  • 1 tbs. vegan butter substitute
  • 1/2 cup chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1tbs. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. arrowroot powder
  • 1/4 cup black beans
Directions:

  • In food processor, combine chickpeas, almond milk, lemon juice and arrowroot 
  • Process until mixture becomes a smooth liquid and set aside
  • Melt butter in nonstick frying pan and sauté plantains for about 5 minutes (until they become soft and dark yellow)
  • Fold black beans into the chickpea batter and pour over top of the plaintains
  • Cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes, making sure to stir the mixture every so often so that all ingredients are "scrambled" (as if you were making eggs)
  • Once the chickpea batter has thickened, reduce heat and cook for about 2 minutes more & then serve

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting recipe! It looks like a delicious vegan scrambled eggs! Black beans are so yummy, nutritious, and cheap. I think I would love the latin diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That's what I love about black beans. I always have some on hand. Latin food is so good and can be much healthier/veg-friendly than many expect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Quincy, for the delicious recipe!
    Join with us on myTaste.

    ReplyDelete