Search This Blog

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Sweet Spotted Kale Chips

One of the most important things for me when traveling is getting my greens. 
Fresh fruit is usually pretty easy to come by and beans or whole grains can be acquired  as well.

Green, leafy veggies, on the other hand, aren't so easy to consume when out and about.

Sure you can get a salad, but you never know what the quality will be.
It's always disappointing to order a sad, limp layer of lettuce topped with pale tomatoes when what you really want is a big bowl of nutrient-rich, green goodness.
(This happens to me far too often!)

As much as I would love to lug around my blender on vacay and whip up green smoothies whenever I please, sometimes that desire is not so realistic. Especially if traveling with others.

So what's a veggie-lover to do?


Make kale chips!

For this month's Recipe Redux, I decided to stick with a classic.


Kale chips are a tried and true way to sneak some nutrients into your diet.
They won't wilt in the heat and they don't need to be blended.

Simply stick some in your travel bag and go.



Kale chips are both car and airplane friendly. I bet you could bring 'em on a bus or train too!

I had a lot of beets laying around the house recently that I wanted to use up before they went bad.
So... that's the inspiration for this red-hued recipe.


These chips have a touch of sweetness that satisifes my sugar cravings.
I love to crush them up and use them as granola as well!

Ingredients:
  • 8 cups kale leaves (stems removed)
  • 10 small beets
  • 1/4 cup raw honey* (or agave)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
Directions:
  • Rinse kale and place in large bowl
  • Chop beets and place in food processor
  • Pulse until grated
  • Add coconut oil 1 tbs. at a time and continue to process until as smooth as possible
  • Pour beet mixture and honey over kale leaves 
  • Mix all ingredients together by hand until each leave is fully coated
  • Dehydrate for about 8-12 hours (until leaves are dry and crispy)
*Yes, I consider myself vegan and I am aware that some vegans do not eat honey. I, however, will eat honey when I can guarantee that it is local, raw, and cruelty free. I will not support industrial honey but I will occasionally buy some organic honey during the summer months (when the bees have excess). 

Sustainable bee farms help the environment (and bee population) to flourish, which I believe is better than avoiding the product all-together.

My recipe made about 6 cups- so nutritional info is for 1/12 of  recipe



12 comments:

  1. I've only recently gotten on the kale chip bandwagon (frankly I don't think I made them right the first time and then just scoffed them off as trendy.) But after a batch done correctly, now I get it and look forward to trying your version with honey, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like them at first either, but now I can see why they are so popular! I hope you like these (:

      Delete
  2. I love kale chips! I like the idea of adding a touch of sweetness to them, I'm so curious to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer sweet snacks over salty, so I'm always looking for ways to sweeten a recipe up. Let me know how yours turn out if you try them.

      Delete
  3. can you believe I have not yet made or tried kale chips. I need to get on that bandwagon soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! A life without kale chips is missing out (:

      Delete
  4. Call me a laggard; I haven't made or eaten a kale chip...ever! This is going to change. Your recipe is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's okay- there's a first time for everything. I'm glad my recipe could spark your interest!

      Delete
  5. Like Deanna I wasnt pleased the first time I made kale chips. But must give these a try! So creative to add beets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had way too many, so I was trying to add them to everything! Hopefully these ones will work out for you.

      Delete
  6. Ooh these kale chips look delicious! I never would have thought of putting beets into my kale chips - very creative =)

    ReplyDelete