Search This Blog

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Green Smoothie Overnight Oats

I'm pretty set in my ways. I don't like to stray far from what I know and like. 
For this reason, my breakfast is almost always the same. It has been for years. Is that a problem?

I always eat one of two meals when "breaking the fast": either a giant smoothie or oatmeal


Green smoothies have had my heart long before they became popular in the blogosphere. And oats are a classic- a health food disguised as a comfort food. Plus you can prepare them so many different ways!

These two meals both hold such high rankings that sometimes it's hard to choose between them.
So what should I do if I just can't make up my mind?


Combine them!

This recipe has all the nutritious goodness of a green smoothie with all the tummy-filling properties of oatmeal. It's super easy and travels well if you need to eat breakfast on-the-go.

You don't need to keep it quite as cold as you would a frosty smoothie, so no ice pack is required.
And it's also okay to have leftovers!


I like to make a big batch and eat it all throughout the morning.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 medium banana 
  • 1 cup diced mango
  • 1 cup kale
  • 1 stalk celery (sliced)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbs. chia seeds
  • 2 tbs. buckwheat
  • 1/3 cup oats (GF if preferred)
  • Cinnamon and stevia to taste
Directions:
  • Combine banana, mango, celery and water in blender
  • Blend until fruit is broken up
  • Add kale and blend again until smooth
  • In tupperware or jar, combine chia, buckwheat and oats
  • Pour green smoothie over the grains and chia seeds
  • Give the mixture one or two good stirs and place in the fridge overnight
  • In the morning, stir mixture again
  • Top with stevia or cinnamon (if desired) and serve

2 comments:

  1. Ha - these are my two favourite breakfasts as well =)
    I would have never thought to combine them. Sheer genius my dear!!!
    I definitely have to try this out!
    Btw - I currently organise all of the blogs I follow on a site called Bloglovin'. I can't add your blog for some reason though... strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's quite simple!
      Hmm, I'm not sure why that would happen. There may be a problem with my RSS feed- I'll have to check it out. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete