Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2013

It's My Birthday! Raw German Chocolate Cake

It's my birthday, yet again!
It seems like just yesterday that I turned 18.


I wasn't as excited about this birthday as I have been about others.
19 is just kind of a "blah" age. I can't do anything special. At 18 you are legal. And twenty is cool because you are no longer technically a teenager.

But turning 19 just seems kinda boring.

Not to mention the fact that I've accidentally told people I'm already 19 quite a few times this year.
I must consider myself older, because when people ask my age that's what I automatically say.

But I actually am 19 today, so now I won't feel like a liar when I say that!

My dad just went out of town, so I had a family celebration on Sunday- food, gifts and all.

Dinner was fabulous, if I do say so myself.
My mom and dad loved it (success!) 
And my brother... is a tough critic. Picky, picky, picky.

The main course was Spaghetti Squash Mexicana with Tropical Salsa Fresca, a la Veganomicon.

I served Yuca Quesadillas on the side- recipe also found in this book a.k.a the Vegan Bible.
They were so garlicky and so good!


Of course, the meal wouldn't have been complete without a giant salad.
I ate most of it myself with no shame...

And then there was cake.


Sweet, sticky, decadent (and wholesome?) cake.
I must admit, I totally winged it on this recipe. 

I'm not a master at making any cakes, let alone raw ones.

But, through a series of guesses and taste tests, I was able to construct a double-layer frosted dessert that turned out great! Everyone- my brother included- devoured the cake and said it was really good (not just for a vegan dessert, but good period.)


Maybe you have a birthday or a potluck or other special occasion coming up. 
Or maybe you just like desserts for any occasion. I mean, who doesn't?

Either way, this sweet, fudgy recipe fits the bill.
Enjoy!

Ingredients:

-Cake:

  • 2 cups dates (soaked overnight in 2+1/2 cups water)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup cacao powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
-Icing:
  • 1 large banana
  • 2 tbs. agave nectar
  • 1 tbs. maca powder
  • 1/4 cup raw walnuts
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded coconut
Directions:

-Cake:
  • Drain dates and set soak water aside (you will need it later)
  • Add half the dates to food processor and pulse 
  • Pour in 1/4 cup soak water and blend until creamy with no apparent chunks of date visible. Add more water if needed but make sure mixture does not become too runny (it should have the consistency of peanut butter)
  • Transfer date paste to mixing bowl and add in 1/4 cup coconut flour and 1/4 cup almond flour
  • Stir until all ingredients are well combined- look out for clumps of flour and make sure to break them up
  • Meanwhile, put 2 tbs. cacao powder in small bowl 
  • Melt 2 tbs. coconut oil and stir it into the cacao until smooth
  • Pour chocolate sauce into the bowl of dough and stir/need until the chocolate is completely incorporated into the mixture
  • Line cake pan with wax paper and smooth dough into the pan, then place in freezer
  • Repeat all previous steps with the other half of ingredients. This will make your "second layer"
-Icing:
  • Break up banana into chunks and place in food processor along with agave and maca powder
  • Blend about 10-15 seconds (until smooth)
  • Remove first layer of cake from the freezer and top with a thin layer of icing (about 3-4 tbs.)
  • Return leftover icing to food processor and add walnuts 
  • Pulse once or twice, so that the walnuts are broken up but still chunky
  • Stir coconut into icing
  • Remove second layer of cake from the freezer and place over first
  • Top with remaining icing
*One serving is 1/12 of cake

2 comments: