Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2013

Slow-Cooker Spiced Indian Pudding


Unlike other Recipe Redux challenges, this month's only had one constraint- to create a crock-pot recipe (that isn't a casserole). 
Once presented with the challenge, I knew right away that I would have to create a recipe that truly embodied fall. Cool weather just begs for warm, comforting recipes and delicious aromas wafting throughout the house.


At first I thought I might make something more traditional, like cider. But then my mom suggested Indian Pudding, and there was no turning back.

I first tried this pudding years ago, on a trip to Boston. Just one bite was all I needed to know that it would become a favorite of mine. I would be happy to eat it all year round, but it is especially great in the fall/winter- especially around the holidays.


This recipe is pretty similar to the original Durgin Park version, only veganized. Oh, and there's also some chai thrown in there for an added oomph. I'm a huge chai tea fan, but if you're not then feel free to leave it out or replace it with whatever other spices suit your fancy.

Ingredients:

  • 7 oz. medium-firm tofu
  • 2+1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (divided)
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 2 bags organic chai tea
  • Pinch of salt

Directions:

  • Place tofu and 1 cup of almond milk in food processor
  • Puree until smooth
  • Add to crock pot along with remaining milk, cornmeal, molasses, and sugar
  • Stir well until ingredients are well combined
  • Open tea bags and empty in crock-pot (along with salt)
  • Stir once more
  • Place lid on and set to low heat
  • Let cook for about 7 hours 
  • Turn crock-pot off and serve
*One recipe makes 6 servings






2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see this recipe - love Indian pudding and rarely make it - I lived in Boston for a bit and have been to Durgin Park too - can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a great place. hope you like this version! Maybe it will bring you back to your Boston days (:

      Delete