Search This Blog

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Raw Carrot Cake Cereal Mix

I have a love/hate relationship with holiday shopping.

It's fun and gets me in good spirits, but it gets a but difficult when I feel conflicted over what to buy.
I find myself always gravitating towards the same sort of gifts every year for the same recipients. 

Another necklace for mom? And I can't possibly give my brother one more tee-shirt. 

Even if it's something I know they will like, it feels like cheating if I gave them something similar the year before. Or if they will probably receive the same sort of thing from 5 other people- at least...


What I tend to do instead is turn to homemade gifts. Thoughtful, original, and from the heart.
This month's Recipe Redux theme ties in perfectly. 

The prompt was to make a shelf-stable mix (for a baked good, drink, etc.) Mixes not only look adorable, but they make great gifts as well.


Normally, holiday baking mixes are for something sweet and not-so-healthy. But if you want a gift for someone more diet-conscious, then this carrot-cake cereal mix does the trick. 

It's a little less sweet and a little more healthy and 100% delicious. 
The best part is that is can easily be assembled in your own kitchen!


The vibrant superfood ingredients look gorgeous layered upon one another. 
When you are ready to eat, simply dump the contents of the jar into a bowl and add water.

If you are wanting to keep the recipe raw, you can add warm water (less than 115ºF) or let the cereal sit overnight in room-temperature water. Otherwise, add hot water and eat up!

Ingredients:
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1/2 cup oats (gluten-free if preferred)
  • 2 tbs. coconut flour
  • 1 tbs. coconut sugar
  • 1 tbs. goji berries
Directions:

  • Slice carrot into thin rounds (about 1/4 in. each)
  • Place in dehydrator for 4-5 hours, until dry
  • Once dry, pulse carrots in food processor until crumbly
  • Gather all ingredients and artfully layer them in a jar in whatever way you please





10 comments:

  1. I need to get a dehydrator - this looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! I got mine for like 30 bucks on Amazon but you could always just omit the carrot from the recipe and add some fresh grated carrot when you make the cereal (:

      Delete
  2. I bet this tastes delicious and you've managed to sneak in a vegetable! Brilliant!BTW,I would love to know how you made a nutrition label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'll take any chance to sneak in a veggie! I make the label at shopncook.com.

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and unique mix! Love the addition of the carrot.

    ReplyDelete