Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sweet & Spicy Winter Shake


Winter crops in North Carolina don't yield much variety- especially when it comes to fruit. 
I try to eat seasonally and locally, so it is important to me to stick with produce that is naturally occurring where I live.

Luckily for me, winter fruits are some of my all-time favorites, no matter the season.

I am obsessed with figs and dates. Cranberries are pretty cool too, especially dried. 
And I have actually learned to like citrus. I didn't have a taste for it until I started making banana-orange juice. It's very basic but so incredibly delicious. 

...and persimmons. 
Oh persimmons. Goddesses of the fruit world. Really. 


They are the basis of this frosty protein shake.
I usually eat them on their own because they are so amazing that I wouldn't possibly think of combining them with something else.

Besides this one exception. Because persimmons meld so perfectly with the chai flavors going on here.
Even if it's cold where you live, I recommend trying out this sweet treat.
I think it is well worth it.


Ingredients:
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 2 large frozen persimmons (seeds removed if there are any)
  • 1 scoop raw chai flavored protein powder
  • 1 tsp. maple syrup
  • 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
  • Cinnamon to taste
Directions:
  • Place all ingredients in blender with enough purified water to get things moving (I used 1/2 cup)
  • Blend until smooth
  • Top with cinnamon

2 comments:

  1. Hm, I have never tried persimmons. Sounds tasty, though! Thank you so much for linking up with Nomday Monday! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either until this year, but they are now one of my favorite fruits. Thank you- I hope you do as well!

      Delete