Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Vegan Speculoos Cookies

Believe it or not, I don't enjoy baking all that much. Cooking (and un-cooking) is great.
I can be creative. I can sub ingredients and experiment. A little more of this and a little less of that, to my liking.

But baking is quite different. It may not be an exact science, but it's pretty close most of the time. One tiny mistake could doom your entire endeavor. 


All of that pressure and specificity is usually a big turn-off. Although as of lately, my heart has been changed. I suddenly want to bake. In fact, I've been on a baking kick the past week or so. I don't know what's gotten into me. 


I don't know if it's because I'm on winter break with time to kill.
Or because my holiday spirit is finally starting to kick in.
Maybe I've watched Elf one too many times.


(You're lying if you tell me Elf doesn't make you want to make cookies. And binge on hot cocoa. And decorate and sing and I could go on but I won't.)


So make cookies, I did. Belgian spice cookies, to be exact- otherwise known as Speculoos or Biscoff or (as jet-setters say), the world famous in-flight treat

I'm not sure if those terms are all actually interchangeable, but they're cousins, at least.


These cookies don't look like much since I do not have the fancy-pants belgian cookie molds, but does it really matter?

It would be nice, for aesthetics sake. But my family wolfed these down so fast that I didn't even have time to worry about their appearance. 

It just goes to show you that it's what on the inside that counts (especially when it comes to baked goods). I mean, some are downright ugly but don't let that stop you from digging in, as it could be surprisingly delicious.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have- and if you do have cookie molds, please feel free to try them out and share the results!                                                                                                                                                       

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy butter 
  • 1/2 cup stevia
  • 1/2 cup xylitol
  • 1/2 tbs. molasses
  • 1 tbs. egg replacer + 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2+1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350º
  • Combine first 5 ingredients in mixing bowl
  • Beat on medium speed until fluffy (the consistency of frosting)
  • In separate bowl, sift remaining ingredients and mix well
  • Pour flour mixture into mixing bowl and combine all until smooth
  • Place dough between two sheets of wax paper and roll into a rectangle, about 1/4 cm thick
  • Cut dough into 24 pieces and place on greased cookie sheet
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes (until browned and slightly crispy)
Photo credit: Photobucket- simplisticlivinggirl

No comments:

Post a Comment