Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Buffalo Sweet Potato Pizza with Ranch Sauce



This month's Recipe Redux challenge was to create a pizza. I obviously don't eat cheese and I don't like non-dairy cheese all too much either. So I had to come up with an untraditional pizza that still tasted great and attracted vegans and carnivores alike.

Obviously I was inspired by Super Bowl fare for this recipe. Buffalo sauce and ranch sauce together on one crust? But no chicken here! 

Instead I opted for the humble sweet potato to give this dish heartiness and counterbalance the hot sauce.

I visited mom and dad for the night to say hey (and use their spacious kitchen) because there was no way I was cooking all this in my tiny apartment. How do you dorm-dwellers do it?!

My gracious family didn't mind too much, as long as I cleaned up after myself and shared my pizza with them.


Although they are transitioning more towards a plant-based diet, they are still picky about new things and will straight-up tell me if they don't like something I make. 

Luckily, this was not the case. They all loved it! Even my brother devoured two servings. 

Whether it be for game day or Wednesday, give this pizza recipe a try.


By the way, I would like to know:
How do those of you with small kitchens accommodate your cooking needs? Tips are much appreciated!

Thanks and enjoy.

Ingredients:

Sweet Potatoes

  • 4 cups sliced sweet potatoes
  • 3 tbs. sriracha
  • 1 tbs. vegan butter
  • 1 tsp. garlic paste
  • 1 tbs. dried onion flakes
Ranch Sauce

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1 tsp. dill
  • 1/4 tsp. celery seed
  • 1 tbs. arrowroot
Pizza Dough
  • 1 packet active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp. coconut sugar
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 + 1 cups gluten-free baking mix
  • 2 tbs. olive oil
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 425º
  • Combine sriracha, vegan butter, garlic paste and onion flakes
  • Toss with sweet potato until evenly coated and spread onto non-stick cookie sheet
  • Place in the oven for about 40 minutes
  • Meanwhile, combine all ranch ingrediens in small saucepan, whisking until smooth
  • Cook sauce on medium-high heat until boiling
  • Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and continue to whisk until thick (about 5 minutes, give or take)
  • Set potatoes and sauce aside
  • Place yeast, coconut sugar, and warm water in a mixing bowl and let sit for about 10 minutes 
  • Slowly stir in flour and oil
  • Roll dough into a ball and press into lightly greased cookie sheet or pizza pan
  • Top with sweet potatoes and drizzle with ranch sauce
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes



14 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Love the combo of sweet potatoes and vegan ranch. Totally a perfect vegan and GF pizza. The crust looks awesome too. I have yet to make my own but this looks like a good place to start ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The flour blend I used for the crust was surprisingly easy to work with.

      Delete
  2. Definitely Superbowl ready! I love how versatile sweet potatoes can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too- they're my favorite go-to ingredient.

      Delete
  3. Looks tasty! I've got a teeny tiny kitchen in Chicago and you just have to get creative. Do everything you can to store things off the counters. I have all of my pans hanging underneath my small (but tall) kitchen table, my knives on a magnet hanging above the sink, spices in containers on the fridge, etc. Anything to save space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your ideas- especially the knife magnet. Thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  4. In my book, Buffalo sauce and Ranch dressing were made for a each other...especially at a SuperBowl party! Great idea to make into a pizza. Those spicy sweet potatoes look amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never actually tried the "real deal" together but I figured the combo might work pretty well. I appreciate it (:

      Delete
  5. Looks hearty and delicious. I love sweet potatoes but haven't tried them in pizza -- yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete