Search This Blog

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Rose-Berry Jello

The theme for this month's Recipe Redux challenge is to use edible flowers in a recipe of our choosing. 

It could not have been more perfect timing, as I just found some rose water at my local Middle Eastern market. But my inspiration didn't end there... I also had a packet of vegan jello lying around that I had yet to use. 


I'm sure you know where this is going next- I decided to combine the two for a light, delicious treat that is reminiscent of summer. The jello I used was raspberry flavored, which paired nicely with the subtle hint of rose. 

I opted to throw in a few tablespoons of chasteberry as well- If you haven't tried (or heard of) this nutritional powerhouse, I suggest you check it out. 


It adds a different dimension of fruity flavor to the dish but- even more importantly- it aids in hormone regulation in women. With so many inhibitors to our natural female functioning these days, it's nice to find something that can counteract those effects. 

To top it all off, I made a little homemade, sugar-free powdered "sugar" to dust the final product with. 
But don't let that scare you! This recipe is free of any artificial colors or sweeteners. 

For that reason, I find this dessert much more refreshing than traditional gelatin. (Because, what is gelatin anyway?)

I hope you enjoy this botanical dish!

Ingredients:
  • 1 sachet vegan jello (I used raspberry but other flavors would work well also)
  • 2 cups rose water*
  • 2 tbs. chastberry (optional)
  • 2 tbs. xylitol
  • 1 tbs. organic cornstarch
Directions:
  • Bring rose water to boiling
  • Add jello and chastberry 
  • Pour into jello mold or heat-safe dish
  • Set aside to cool at room temperature
  • Meanwhile, combine xylitol and cornstarch in food processor, pulsing until fine
  • Once jello is cool, cut into cubes
  • Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve
*Feel free to decrease rose water and replace with filtered water depending on strength and taste preference

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment