Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Raw Apricot Balls

I can't believe it's that time of the month again! (Recipe Redux time, that is).
August seems to be flying by- it feels as though it was just yesterday that I was posting last month's recipe from a hotel in Sweden.


Alas, here we are with a whole new challenge: Bars & Bites for Brown Bags. With school starting and all, this theme is focusing on lunch-box treats. 

I no longer carry a lunchbox (although I kind of wish I did...) but I do make sure to always keep plenty of lunch-appropriate snacks on deck. You never know when a hunger pang will arise. Between running to classes, teaching yoga, or working at the college radio station, I've got to keep fueled.

(90.9 WQFS, by the way. Check it out!)


Light, sweet treats like these apricot balls are my favorite- they provide instant energy from natural sugars and healthy fats without any sort of subsequent crash. Plus, they store easily and can be made in a cinch. Perfect for any busy person, no matter their age.



Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dried apricots, soaked in 1/ 4 cup water (not drained)
  • 1 cup coconut flakes
  • 1 tbs. goji berries (soaked in 1 tbs. water, drained)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
Directions:

  • Place coconut in food processor, and pulse until well pulverized, with a flour-like consistency (about 1-2 minutes, depending on the strength of your machine)
  • Add apricots + water and pulse until a sticky dough is formed
  • Remove from processor and mix in remaining ingredients
  • Form dough into balls (will make about 16, more or less)
  • For extra firmness, place in fridge* overnight- or enjoy as is!
*They can be frozen as well, just give adequate time to thaw before eating


   
   

4 comments:

  1. oh how I love golgi berries! These look beautiful :) I'm part of the "21st posting group" for RR and I never usually see the other group's link-up, so I'm glad I did this month!
    xoxo Sarah Grace, Fresh Fit N Healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your chia bars sound awesome as well.

      Delete
  2. I love apricots! These bites sound so good!

    ReplyDelete