Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Raw Apple-Ginger Bread

Happy Monday to all! (And Recipe Redux time.)
I'm not super excited to be jumping into a brand-new week.
I feel like I'm just starting to get caught up on all of last week's obligations.

Homework assignments, blog posts, newspaper articles... Teaching yoga, managing a radio station, finding time to breathe... Maybe I'm doing too much?

Although it sometimes feels like it, I am hard-pressed to find anything I'm willing to cut out.
I just love it all! As crazy as it can make me.

On the flip side, there's a part of my that likes having such a busy schedule. In fact, I'm discovering I  may thrive off of it. Of course, that can be a slippery slope- but that's a whole 'nother story in itself.

I'll save the heavy talk for some other time- let's get to the good stuff.


This bread! It makes me excited for Monday morning because weekday mornings mean breakfast before 1pm. 

And what better breakfast is there than wholesome, raw bread smothered in tahini?

(Because tahini makes everything taste 1 million times better. FACT.)

SO since Monday morning means I get to eat this...


...I now love Monday morning! Follow my logic?

I can almost guarantee you will love them too once the smell of apple bread is wafting through your home on some given Monday.

Disclaimer: This bread isn't really bread at all. (But is that really a surprise?) 
What it is, is raw apple pulp dehydrated to create a bread-like substance.

Dehydrated food is the Recipe Redux theme of the month, providing the ideal opportunity to share this simple (not to mention sustainable) recipe. 
No wasting going on in my house!
Puree the pulp for a more even texture.
It's delicious alone, but also a perfect vehicle for your favorite dip or spread. 
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups apple/ginger juice pulp (juice from about 8 apples + 1 knob of ginger)
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds

Directions:
  • Soak flax seeds in 1/2 cup purified water for about 10 minutes (until "gelled") 
  • Combine apple pulp and mix well
  • Transfer to lined dehydrator, spreading about 1/4 inch thick
  • Dehydrate at 115º for 3 hours
  • Flip and dehydrate for 3 more hours or until dry yet pliable
  • Store in fridge


   
   

5 comments: