Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Raw Curried Pumpkin Seeds

If you read my last post, you know that my housemates brought home some pumpkins from the dumpster last week.
One of my favorite dumpster finds yet (aside from a banana ice-cream maker)!

As soon as I saw the beauties, I knew what I wanted to do with them- make dried pumpkin seeds.
I chose to wait and incorporate the recipe into my Recipe Redux challenge for the month, which is "Spooky Spices". The theme is focused on taking a spice you are fearful of using and conquering your anxieties by creating something delectable.
One spice I'm intrigued by but never get around to using is curry powder. I love the curry from my local Vietnamese and Thai joints, but I rarely if ever use the spice on my own.

With such a strong flavor, I find myself avoiding it and opting instead for my tried and true favorites like seaweed sprinkles, cumin, and onion powder.

Well, there's a first time for everything I guess. Considering the pumpkin seeds were free, I figured the stakes weren't too high if I messed them up with my heavy-handed curry use.
Surely enough, I did not! They turned out great- perfectly crisp and spicy.
The dehydrator gives the seeds a really nice, light consistency, but an oven will work fine as well if you don't have a dehydrator and aren't concerned with the recipe being "raw".

Try out this recipe with curry, or your own "fear spice". You won't be disappointed!
(Unless, of course, you have a seed allergy. Then you may be very disappointed.)

By the way, if you want more information on dumpster diving, check out this post or drop me a comment. I'm happy to discuss.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds (unhulled)
  • 1 tbs. Bragg's liquid aminos
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 curry powder
Directions:

  • Rinse and dry seeds
  • Stir in remaining ingredients
  • Spread on dehydrator tray
  • Dehydrate for 8-10 hours (or bake at 350º for 10 minutes)
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment