Search This Blog

Monday, December 22, 2014

Greek Chickpea Soup (Revithia)


This marks the 42nd month that the Recipe Redux has been in existence, which calls for a special theme. For all December participants, the recipe in question can be from any cookbook of our choosing! But here's the catch- in honor of the anniversary, it must be from either page 42 or 142.
Sounds like an easy task, right?
Not so much (for me, at least). 

I obviously know my way around a kitchen... or at least pretend like I do. And my mom is an ex-culinary school attendee. You would think there would be plenty of options (read: cookbooks) to choose from.

But alas, nothing was working out. Several cookbooks had no recipes on the pages I needed. And many, many more had not-so-vegan-friendly concoctions.

I'm all for a good ol' fashioned "veganize this" challenge, but there are some  that even I am not willing to tackle. Cream cheese & shrimp mold? No thanks. Pickled pigeons? Um... what?
I finally decided on a quite simple, naturally plant-based recipe from Marin's Greek Cookery. What better way to rep my heritage?

The original formula was pretty basic but I spiced it up with some extra mediterranean-inspired ingredients. The end result was a light & tangy soup that is great for chilly, winter nights. I may even remake it for Christmas Eve.
Here's the recipe after I altered it a little bit. If you have the ingredients ready to go, it is very uninvolved. Perfect for a busy night where you have to whip up something nourishing in a hurry. 
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did!

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz. cooked chickpeas
  • 16 oz. diced tomatoes 
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup diced black olives
  • 6 grape leaves, chopped
  • 2 tsp. date molasses
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in saucepan
  • Simmer on medium-high heat for about 30-40 minutes, then serve!
   
   

2 comments: